> Journal of Money and Finance > Research Ethics Requlations
|The purposes of the Ethics
Regulations are to propose the minimum ethical standards required
for all research papers to be
submitted to and published in Financial Research issued by KMFA
in order to establish research ethics, prevent dishonest
research acts, and to verify the facts in a fair and systematic
manner and suggest follow-up measures in the event that
dishonest research acts occur.
|2. Definition of dishonest
|The scope of dishonest research
acts are as follows.
1) The act of creating data or research results that are non-existent
2) The act of manipulating a research process or modifying or
deleting data arbitrarily thereby distorting the contents of
or research results
3) The act of using the idea, contents of the research or results
of research works done by others without due citation
4) The act of submitting or publishing the same contents or
results of research works in duplicate
5) The act of deleting the name of the author who has contributed
to paper preparation or qualifying a person as paper author
that has not contributed to research works.
6) An act that goes seriously beyond the permissible scope in
|3. Function and
formation of the research ethics committee (the ¡°Committee¡±)
|1) The Committee shall set
the directions for the establishment and management of research
2) The Committee shall deliver a judgment on dishonest research
act cases and decide on punishment against those
engaged in dishonest research acts.
3) The Committee shall be composed of seven or more persons
that include the Head of the Editorial Board, the Lead Editors
when it is deemed necessary.
4) The Head of the Editorial Board shall serve as the Chairperson
of the Committee, and the Committee members shall be
appointed by the President of KMFA on recommendation
of the Chairperson.
|4. Investigation into alleged
dishonest research acts and delivering a ruling
|1) The Committee is an independent
unit and shall notify the President of KMFA of its ultimate
judgment on dishonest
2) In the event of suspected dishonest research cases, anyone
may send a request for investigation in writing or by email
the KMFA office or to the Editorial Board,
and such request shall be made in real name in principle.
Those who request investigation shall present
the grounds and reasons for the request in detail regarding
3) Upon receipt of a request for investigation, the Head of
the Editorial Board shall ask the President of KMFA to form
4) In the event of a request for investigation regarding a paper
that is under evaluation or scheduled to be evaluated, the
Committee shall give 30 days to the author
of the paper for him or her to prepare a response and then shall
deliver a ruling
on the existence and degree of dishonest
research acts after seeking views of the paper judges and other
5) The Committee shall set the directions for the establishment
and management of research ethics.
6) The members of the Committee who have interests in the alleged
dishonest research acts shall be excluded from
investigation and ruling procedures.
7) The Committee may seek views of persons from outside or outside
the Committee when it is deemed necessary.
8) If the submitter of a research paper has an objection to
the ruling on dishonest research acts, he or she may request
Committee¡¯s re-evaluation, and the Committee
shall deliver their final ruling on the objection within 14
|5. Dealing with dishonest
|1) The Head of the Editorial
Board may take measures commensurate with the member¡¯s violation
of research ethics by giving
a warning to the person or requesting a public
apology from the person in accordance with the punishment decided
2) If the matter is serious such that it requires disciplinary
action, the Head of the Editorial Board may inflict a punishment
such as suspension of membership, cancellation
of paper publication, expulsion of the member or public notice
webpage of KMFA.
3) If the research paper is presently under evaluation or scheduled
to be evaluated, the Head of the Editorial Board may
request modification or re-evaluation of
the paper depending on the degree of dishonest research acts
and may refuse
paper evaluation and return the paper.
4) In the event the research paper is scheduled to be published
and ruled to be a dishonest research act, the Head of the
Editorial Board may cancel the publication.
5) If the research paper has already been published and ruled
to be a dishonest research act, the Head of the Editorial Board
shall make a final decision on measures commensurate
with the degree of the dishonest research act.
6) In the event that the final decision by the Committee includes
cancellation of paper publication, the Head of the Editorial
Board shall delete the paper concerned from
the list of KMFA¡¯s research papers and announce the results
of the ruling and
publication cancellation of the paper at
the homepage of KMFA and in the next issue of Financial Research.
the author concerned shall be prevented from
submitting papers to Financial Research for three years or more.
7) The Committee shall deliberate and formulate the specifics
required for the management of the Committee.
|6. Protection of rights
for the informant and the interviewee
|1) The identity of the informant
shall not be exposed either directly or indirectly, and the
name of the informant shall not be
exposed in the process of investigation or
in investigation report unless it is absolutely required.
2) The identity of the interviewee or the fact that the interviewee
is being inquired shall not be leaked with the exception of
Editorial Board or the Committee until the
verification of the existence of dishonest research acts is
completed. In addition,
care shall be used to ensure that the reputation
or rights of the interviewee are not encroached upon.
3) All the details relating to the investigation including the
case reporting, investigation, screening, resolution or suggestion
shall be confidential, and all the information
obtained in the process of investigation or duty fulfillment
shall not be leaked,
provided that it can be open to the public
with the approval of the Committee when it is deemed necessary.
|7. Follow-up measures
|1) The records of investigation,
evaluations from the Editorial Board, and reports, meeting minutes,
and the final decision by the
Committee regarding the dishonest research
acts shall be saved in storage for five years following the
end of investigation.
2) The end date of investigation shall be the date of the final
ruling by the Committee, and two copies of the documents
described in the paragraph 1) above shall
be prepared without the indication of name to ensure anonymity,
and the KMFA
office and the Editorial Board shall keep
a copy of them each. The original copy with name indication
shall be saved for
10 years at the Editorial Board.
|8. Ethics regulations enforcement
|1) The submitters of research
papers shall pledge to abide by these Ethics Regulations. A
member who has reportedly violated
the Ethics Regulations shall cooperate with
the investigation executed by the Committee. Failure to cooperate
investigation amounts to a violation of the
Ethics Regulations itself.
2) The procedure to revise the Ethics Regulations shall be based
on the procedure to amend the regulations of the KMFA.
In the event the Ethics Regulations are revised,
the members who have vowed to abide by the existing regulations
considered to have pledged to abide by the
new regulations without additional pledge.
Article 1 Date of Execution
These regulations shall go into effect from 1 of Oct 2010.
Article 2 Announcement
These regulations shall be announced on 1 of October 2010.